7.19.2008

My Journey

Ok, so first I must apologize for taking so long to post more about this. I've been processing the Africa trip for awhile. I've still been praying for God to tell me what I'm really supposed to "do" with the knowledge that someone I love, a child I spent 8 hours a day 5 days a week with, a child that I have grown to love - that I've asked God to help me love...is starving, sleeping on the floor, often beaten, lost parents to AIDS, etc.

I've traveled alot. I've seen alot of poverty. For the most part I've come to the realization that it's happening all over the world. It's always affected me, but I've been ok in taking the knowledge that I now have by seeing it, and put passion into praying for those situations. But this is one of the very few times that I've really grown to love someone that is in this situation. It's a big thing to swallow. It's different. I haven't known what to do with it.

Sure I can pray. Sure I can be grateful for what I have. But how do I live, and what do I do, with knowing someone I've grown to love, is suffering so. How can I be ok with that?

The more I've tried to process and "chew" on that, the more God speaks to me about the injustices in the world. That sometimes I just can't DO anything, other than pray and speak with passion about it to whomever will listen. And to remember.

There is good news. The organization I went with does a huge work with these children, but there are too many children. The world is hugnry. No, not OUR world...but the rest of it. This organization can't do it all. They are a beacon of light to most of the children we see while hosting camp. But there are sooo many more. Check out this quote:

"To satisfy all the world’s sanitation and food requirements would cost only $13 billion, hardly as much as the people of the United States and the European Union spend each year on perfume." — Ignacio Ramonet, The Politics of Hunger, Le Monde Diplomatique

So is God calling me to "do" something...I don't know. I have a deep, sinking feeling He just might be...but He hasn't let me in on what that is.

Until then...

I pray.

"Caring for the poor is lending to the Lord, and you will be well repaid." Proverbs 19:17

"If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out, Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight. I will always show you where to go. I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places — firm muscles, strong bones. You'll be like a well-watered garden, a gurgling spring that never runs dry. You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew, rebuild the foundations from out of your past. You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:10-11

No comments: