6.13.2008

June 13, 2008 - Lusaka, Zambia (Africa)

Yesterday, each child received a brand new pair of shoes, a new camp life tshirt and a bandanna with their school color. We had to get there early to get the shoes lined up. If you can imagine trying to fit 1500 kids in tennis shoes and tshirts in a matter of 3 hours….it was a huge undertaking. The kids were soooo excited! Most of them have never even received a gift before.





We spent a few hours after that doing a group session and a small group. Then after lunch we boarded the buses with our children and went back to their schools with them. They were even more excited to take us with them to their communities. Once we got to their communities we walked around and spoke with and met people. It was really nice. This little girl followed me around everywhere.



After that we came home and got ready for bed again because today was to be a very long day.

We got up early this morning to get to camp early before the kids because today we were assembling packages for each of our children. Each child was to receive a pencil, 3 bookmarks and a postcard, a cup, 2 book bags and a warm camp life fleece jacket. Greer, the camp director said that this kind of present to the kids is life changing for them. This will probably be the biggest gift they will get in their entire life. Also most kids are very cold right now because they don’t have good jackets, so this will be huge for them.

All week we have been singing a song, “The Lord is my Shepherd, He gives me everything I need….” I could try to explain this moment today, but words cannot do it…you will have to see for yourself. When I get home I’ll post the video. The kids were so excited when Greer just held up that they’d be getting a pencil today. Then he went down the line of all the giveaways one at a time. Once he got to the fleece jackets the kids screamed soooo loud and were jumping up and down, several crying. All the little ones ran up and overtook the stage jumping up and down and doing cartwheels and then they attacked Greer with hugs. It was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

As soon as we got them calmed down, we sang the “The Lord is My Shepherd" Song again. They lyrics are “The Lord is my Shepherd, He gives me everything I need.” I looked over at a girl singing in the line next to me and she had big tears rolling down her cheeks. I looked at her face as she sang and held her hands up, I could tell that she was really singing with all her heart that The Lord was her Shepherd and that he gives Her everything she needs. It was a sweet moment!

The video will come once I get home and can edit it! I can’t wait for you to see it! Below are my girls in their new shirts with their new tennis shoes.



I had to say goodbye to these precious girl today...probably forever, but they will always be in my heart! Next week is a new week of camp with new campers! So I'm excited!

No comments: